Mediterranean Grilled Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Whirl grilled bell peppers, zucchini and onion in a food processor with some vine-ripened tomatoes in this smoky gazpacho-like soup. Make it a meal: Serve with Pan Bagna for a delightful warm-weather Mediterranean meal.
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, (8 ounces total), trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, (1 1/4 pounds), cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Grill or broil bell peppers, skin-side toward the flame, until the skin is blackened, 5 to 10 minutes. Place in a paper bag and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush zucchini and onion slices with oil and grill or broil until well browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Peel the peppers. Coarsely chop the yellow pepper and set aside with the reserved zucchini and onions. Place the red peppers in a food processor or blender, along with tomatoes, garlic and oregano; puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in water, basil, vinegar and the reserved chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 56 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (217% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 1993