Mediterranean Grilled Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Whirl grilled bell peppers, zucchini and onion in a food processor with some vine-ripened tomatoes in this smoky gazpacho-like soup. Make it a meal: Serve with Pan Bagna for a delightful warm-weather Mediterranean meal.
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, (8 ounces total), trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, (1 1/4 pounds), cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Grill or broil bell peppers, skin-side toward the flame, until the skin is blackened, 5 to 10 minutes. Place in a paper bag and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush zucchini and onion slices with oil and grill or broil until well browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Peel the peppers. Coarsely chop the yellow pepper and set aside with the reserved zucchini and onions. Place the red peppers in a food processor or blender, along with tomatoes, garlic and oregano; puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in water, basil, vinegar and the reserved chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 56 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (217% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 1993