Mediterranean Fish Fillets
This is “pan-Mediterranean” in its flavors and employs a method of cooking fish by keeping it moist in a zesty sauce. You can also add capers, roasted peppers or sun-dried tomatoes to the sauce.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, (see Tips for Two)
- 4 Kalamata olives, pitted (see Tip) and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 8 ounces thick-cut, firm-fleshed fish fillets, such as Pacific halibut or mahi-mahi
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Add wine and garlic and simmer for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, olives, oregano and orange zest. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Season fish with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Arrange the fish in a single layer in a pie pan or baking dish. Spoon the tomato mixture over the fish. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through, 10 to 20 minutes. Divide the fish into 2 portions and serve with sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned diced tomatoes can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months. Add to soups and salsa; use to bulk up marinara sauce; add to an omelet with sliced green onions and shredded pepper Jack cheese.
- Tip: To pit olives: Press down on olives with the side of a heavy knife to split them open and make removing the pits easier.
Per serving: 222 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 579 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient