Mediterranean Fish Fillets
This is “pan-Mediterranean” in its flavors and employs a method of cooking fish by keeping it moist in a zesty sauce. You can also add capers, roasted peppers or sun-dried tomatoes to the sauce.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, (see Tips for Two)
- 4 Kalamata olives, pitted (see Tip) and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 8 ounces thick-cut, firm-fleshed fish fillets, such as Pacific halibut or mahi-mahi
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Add wine and garlic and simmer for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, olives, oregano and orange zest. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Season fish with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Arrange the fish in a single layer in a pie pan or baking dish. Spoon the tomato mixture over the fish. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through, 10 to 20 minutes. Divide the fish into 2 portions and serve with sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned diced tomatoes can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months. Add to soups and salsa; use to bulk up marinara sauce; add to an omelet with sliced green onions and shredded pepper Jack cheese.
- Tip: To pit olives: Press down on olives with the side of a heavy knife to split them open and make removing the pits easier.
Per serving: 222 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 579 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient