From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Capers, anchovy paste and fresh lemon juice add excitement to deviled eggs.
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sliced pitted black olives for garnish
- Halve eggs. Scoop out yolks, reserving 6 for another use. Mash the remaining 6 yolks in a small bowl. Mix in breadcrumbs, sour cream, parsley, capers, lemon juice and anchovy paste. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the yolk mixture into the hollows in the egg whites and garnish each egg with an olive slice. Arrange on a platter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 32 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 78 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1993