Mediterranean Cauliflower Pizza
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy, gluten-free cauliflower “pizza” recipe, shredded cauliflower is mixed with mozzarella and oregano to make a flourless crust that echoes the flavor of a traditional pizza pie. The Meyer lemon, olive and sun-dried tomato topping adds a sophisticated Mediterranean flavor, but feel free to try more traditional pizza toppings, such as marinara sauce and mushrooms—even pepperoni.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and broken into small florets
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Meyer lemons or 1 large regular lemon
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup green or black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a pizza pan or rimless baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until reduced to rice-size crumbles. Transfer to a large nonstick skillet and add 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Heat over medium-high, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower begins to soften slightly (but don’t let it brown), 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the lemon(s) and discard. Working over a small bowl, cut the segments from the membranes, letting the segments drop into the bowl (remove seeds). Drain the juice from the segments (save for another use). Add tomatoes and olives to the lemon segments; toss to combine.
- Add egg, cheese and oregano to the cooled cauliflower; stir to combine. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, shaping into an even 10-inch round. Drizzle the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the top.
- Bake the pizza until the top begins to brown, 10 to 14 minutes. Scatter the lemon-olive mixture over the top, season with pepper, and continue to bake until nicely browned all over, 8 to 14 minutes more. Scatter basil over the top. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 200 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 475 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (94% daily value), Calcium (26% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)