These high-fiber veggie burgers get added body and a pleasant mild flavor from millet, a nutrition powerhouse. They get their spectacular punch from Olive Ketchup and feta cheese.
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1/2 cup millet, rinsed (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups lightly packed baby spinach, stems trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive Ketchup, optional (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 whole-wheat English muffins, or whole-wheat buns
- Arugula & sliced tomatoes, for garnish
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth (or water) to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in millet and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; transfer to a plate to cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- While the millet cooks, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and light brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Gradually stir in spinach; cover and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, 30 to 60 seconds. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate; let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare Olive Ketchup, if using.
- Place the millet in a food processor and pulse to mix lightly. Add the spinach mixture and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the feta, basil, breadcrumbs, pepper and the reserved sun-dried tomatoes; mix well.
- With dampened hands, form the mixture into seven 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 3 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Toast English muffins (or buns). Garnish the burgers with arugula, tomatoes and Olive Ketchup, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 6. Wrap patties individually and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Ingredient Note: Millet makes a good grain base here because it gives these burgers added body with a pleasantly mild flavor. Look for it at natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 309 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 7 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique