These high-fiber veggie burgers get added body and a pleasant mild flavor from millet, a nutrition powerhouse. They get their spectacular punch from Olive Ketchup and feta cheese.
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1/2 cup millet, rinsed (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups lightly packed baby spinach, stems trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive Ketchup, optional (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 whole-wheat English muffins, or whole-wheat buns
- Arugula & sliced tomatoes, for garnish
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth (or water) to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in millet and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; transfer to a plate to cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- While the millet cooks, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and light brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Gradually stir in spinach; cover and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, 30 to 60 seconds. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate; let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare Olive Ketchup, if using.
- Place the millet in a food processor and pulse to mix lightly. Add the spinach mixture and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the feta, basil, breadcrumbs, pepper and the reserved sun-dried tomatoes; mix well.
- With dampened hands, form the mixture into seven 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 3 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Toast English muffins (or buns). Garnish the burgers with arugula, tomatoes and Olive Ketchup, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 6. Wrap patties individually and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Ingredient Note: Millet makes a good grain base here because it gives these burgers added body with a pleasantly mild flavor. Look for it at natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 309 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 7 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique