Meatless Mountain Green Beans with Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
In the southern Appalachian Mountains, green beans were cooked at the back of the stove in a bacon-seasoned broth with new potatoes added in the final part of the long, slow process. The result is a vegetable dish so imbued with meaty flavor that it was regularly served as the main part of an otherwise meatless meal with slaw, fresh tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, raw onion and cornbread. Here the meaty flavor in this vegetarian green bean recipe is created without pork by using smoked Spanish paprika and olive oil. Look for smoked paprika with other spices in well-stocked supermarkets.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- 4 cups water, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika, mild or sweet, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 16 baby or new potatoes (about golf ball size), rinsed but not peeled
- Place beans in a large pot or Dutch oven. Pour in enough water to just barely cover the beans. Add oil, paprika and salt; gently stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer, cover and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour. (Check the pot occasionally and add water a little bit at a time if the beans are in danger of cooking dry.) Taste the bean broth and stir in additional paprika, if desired, for a “meatier” taste, but do so in small increments; too much can impart a bitter taste.
- Place potatoes on top of the beans and push down into the broth. Return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are very tender, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Per serving: 121 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 444 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013