Matzo Ball Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Floating in a flavorful broth, our matzo balls are light and fluffy but bound together with whisked eggs and only a small amount of canola oil rather than the traditional chicken fat. Plus, this version of Jewish penicillin has plenty of added vegetables, making it a good source for vitamins A and C. Now that's what Doctor Mom ordered!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup matzo meal, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or parsley
- Whisk eggs, egg white and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in matzo meal, oil and water. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pot. Add parsnips, carrot and onion; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Gently roll level teaspoonfuls of the chilled matzo dough into balls, dropping them into the simmering broth as you work. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid: the broth must simmer rapidly to allow the matzo balls to expand properly.
- Add broccoli and mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with dill (or parsley) and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Shopping Tip: Look for matzo meal in the kosher section of the supermarket.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 58 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 324 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1995