Matzo Ball Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Floating in a flavorful broth, our matzo balls are light and fluffy but bound together with whisked eggs and only a small amount of canola oil rather than the traditional chicken fat. Plus, this version of Jewish penicillin has plenty of added vegetables, making it a good source for vitamins A and C. Now that's what Doctor Mom ordered!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup matzo meal, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or parsley
- Whisk eggs, egg white and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in matzo meal, oil and water. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pot. Add parsnips, carrot and onion; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Gently roll level teaspoonfuls of the chilled matzo dough into balls, dropping them into the simmering broth as you work. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid: the broth must simmer rapidly to allow the matzo balls to expand properly.
- Add broccoli and mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with dill (or parsley) and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Shopping Tip: Look for matzo meal in the kosher section of the supermarket.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 58 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 324 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1995