Roasted Garlic Mashed Purple Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Roasting garlic and thyme in olive oil infuses them with a heady flavor that makes a luxurious addition to these mashed potatoes. Purple potatoes make a delightful lavender mash, but you can use white potatoes if you prefer.
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 multi-branch sprigs fresh thyme (about 1/3 ounce)
- 2 pounds purple or all-purpose white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the garlic in a small baking dish, such as a bread pan. Drizzle with oil and lay thyme sprigs around it. Cover with foil. Roast until very soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- About 15 minutes before the garlic is done, cook potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the pot. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the potatoes. Strain the oil through a fine sieve over the potatoes, pressing on the solids (discard the thyme). Add sour cream, milk, salt and pepper; mash to desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the roasted garlic (Step 2) in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 139 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 142 mg sodium; 416 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011