Roasted Garlic Mashed Purple Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Roasting garlic and thyme in olive oil infuses them with a heady flavor that makes a luxurious addition to these mashed potatoes. Purple potatoes make a delightful lavender mash, but you can use white potatoes if you prefer.
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 multi-branch sprigs fresh thyme (about 1/3 ounce)
- 2 pounds purple or all-purpose white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the garlic in a small baking dish, such as a bread pan. Drizzle with oil and lay thyme sprigs around it. Cover with foil. Roast until very soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- About 15 minutes before the garlic is done, cook potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the pot. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the potatoes. Strain the oil through a fine sieve over the potatoes, pressing on the solids (discard the thyme). Add sour cream, milk, salt and pepper; mash to desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the roasted garlic (Step 2) in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 139 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 142 mg sodium; 416 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2011