Roasted Garlic Mashed Purple Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Roasting garlic and thyme in olive oil infuses them with a heady flavor that makes a luxurious addition to these mashed potatoes. Purple potatoes make a delightful lavender mash, but you can use white potatoes if you prefer.
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 multi-branch sprigs fresh thyme (about 1/3 ounce)
- 2 pounds purple or all-purpose white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the garlic in a small baking dish, such as a bread pan. Drizzle with oil and lay thyme sprigs around it. Cover with foil. Roast until very soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- About 15 minutes before the garlic is done, cook potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the pot. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the potatoes. Strain the oil through a fine sieve over the potatoes, pressing on the solids (discard the thyme). Add sour cream, milk, salt and pepper; mash to desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the roasted garlic (Step 2) in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 139 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 142 mg sodium; 416 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011