Roasted Garlic Mashed Purple Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Roasting garlic and thyme in olive oil infuses them with a heady flavor that makes a luxurious addition to these mashed potatoes. Purple potatoes make a delightful lavender mash, but you can use white potatoes if you prefer.
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 multi-branch sprigs fresh thyme (about 1/3 ounce)
- 2 pounds purple or all-purpose white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the garlic in a small baking dish, such as a bread pan. Drizzle with oil and lay thyme sprigs around it. Cover with foil. Roast until very soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- About 15 minutes before the garlic is done, cook potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the pot. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the potatoes. Strain the oil through a fine sieve over the potatoes, pressing on the solids (discard the thyme). Add sour cream, milk, salt and pepper; mash to desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the roasted garlic (Step 2) in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 139 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 142 mg sodium; 416 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011