Mashed Potatoes & Turnips with Greens
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This boldly-flavored mash combines turnips with potatoes and adds broccoli rabe for a bold splash of color.
- 3 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 medium turnips (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or aged goat cheese (1 ounce), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (1 pound), stems trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place potatoes, turnips and thyme in a large pot. Cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the potatoes and turnips in a large bowl; discard thyme sprig, if using. Mash with a potato masher, adding a little cooking water, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil and cheese, if using. Season with salt and pepper. To keep warm, set the bowl over simmering water and cover with parchment paper or foil.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden and very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and add to the onions; toss to mix.
- To serve, mound the mashed vegetables in a bowl or onto individual plates and top with the onions and broccoli rabe.
Per serving: 144 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 514 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Winter 2004