Mashed Potatoes & Turnips with Greens
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This boldly-flavored mash combines turnips with potatoes and adds broccoli rabe for a bold splash of color.
- 3 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 medium turnips (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or aged goat cheese (1 ounce), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (1 pound), stems trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place potatoes, turnips and thyme in a large pot. Cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the potatoes and turnips in a large bowl; discard thyme sprig, if using. Mash with a potato masher, adding a little cooking water, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil and cheese, if using. Season with salt and pepper. To keep warm, set the bowl over simmering water and cover with parchment paper or foil.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden and very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and add to the onions; toss to mix.
- To serve, mound the mashed vegetables in a bowl or onto individual plates and top with the onions and broccoli rabe.
Per serving: 144 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 514 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Winter 2004