Mashed Potatoes & Turnips with Greens
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This boldly-flavored mash combines turnips with potatoes and adds broccoli rabe for a bold splash of color.
- 3 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 medium turnips (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or aged goat cheese (1 ounce), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (1 pound), stems trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place potatoes, turnips and thyme in a large pot. Cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the potatoes and turnips in a large bowl; discard thyme sprig, if using. Mash with a potato masher, adding a little cooking water, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil and cheese, if using. Season with salt and pepper. To keep warm, set the bowl over simmering water and cover with parchment paper or foil.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden and very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and add to the onions; toss to mix.
- To serve, mound the mashed vegetables in a bowl or onto individual plates and top with the onions and broccoli rabe.
Per serving: 144 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 514 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Winter 2004