Mashed Potatoes & Turnips with Greens
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This boldly-flavored mash combines turnips with potatoes and adds broccoli rabe for a bold splash of color.
- 3 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 medium turnips (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or aged goat cheese (1 ounce), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (1 pound), stems trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place potatoes, turnips and thyme in a large pot. Cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the potatoes and turnips in a large bowl; discard thyme sprig, if using. Mash with a potato masher, adding a little cooking water, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil and cheese, if using. Season with salt and pepper. To keep warm, set the bowl over simmering water and cover with parchment paper or foil.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden and very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and add to the onions; toss to mix.
- To serve, mound the mashed vegetables in a bowl or onto individual plates and top with the onions and broccoli rabe.
Per serving: 144 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 514 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Winter 2004