Mashed Potatoes & Turnips with Greens
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This boldly-flavored mash combines turnips with potatoes and adds broccoli rabe for a bold splash of color.
- 3 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 medium turnips (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or aged goat cheese (1 ounce), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (1 pound), stems trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place potatoes, turnips and thyme in a large pot. Cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the potatoes and turnips in a large bowl; discard thyme sprig, if using. Mash with a potato masher, adding a little cooking water, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil and cheese, if using. Season with salt and pepper. To keep warm, set the bowl over simmering water and cover with parchment paper or foil.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden and very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and add to the onions; toss to mix.
- To serve, mound the mashed vegetables in a bowl or onto individual plates and top with the onions and broccoli rabe.
Per serving: 144 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 514 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Winter 2004