From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Chicken broth adds a savory touch and reduced-fat sour cream adds richness without lots of fat.
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, (about 8 potatoes), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a large heavy pot and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Off the heat, mash potatoes, adding enough hot broth to make a smooth puree. Stir in sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep the potatoes warm, covered with wax paper, over a pan of barely simmering water for up to 1 hour.
Per serving: 178 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 62 mg sodium; 957 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998