From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Chicken broth adds a savory touch and reduced-fat sour cream adds richness without lots of fat.
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, (about 8 potatoes), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a large heavy pot and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Off the heat, mash potatoes, adding enough hot broth to make a smooth puree. Stir in sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep the potatoes warm, covered with wax paper, over a pan of barely simmering water for up to 1 hour.
Per serving: 178 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 62 mg sodium; 957 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998