Mashed Maple Squash
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Acorn squash makes a sweet substitute for potatoes in this easy mash. Use a serrated grapefruit spoon to get all the seeds and stringy fibers out of the inside of the squash.
- 1 acorn squash, (1 1/4 pounds), halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place squash halves cut-side down in the prepared pan. Bake until soft, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Scrape the soft squash flesh into a medium bowl. Stir in syrup, butter, cinnamon and salt with a fork, mashing the squash until somewhat smooth.
Per serving: 156 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 299 mg sodium; 790 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- March/April 2007