Mashed Maple Squash
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Acorn squash makes a sweet substitute for potatoes in this easy mash. Use a serrated grapefruit spoon to get all the seeds and stringy fibers out of the inside of the squash.
- 1 acorn squash, (1 1/4 pounds), halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place squash halves cut-side down in the prepared pan. Bake until soft, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Scrape the soft squash flesh into a medium bowl. Stir in syrup, butter, cinnamon and salt with a fork, mashing the squash until somewhat smooth.
Per serving: 156 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 299 mg sodium; 790 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007