Mashed Maple Squash
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Acorn squash makes a sweet substitute for potatoes in this easy mash. Use a serrated grapefruit spoon to get all the seeds and stringy fibers out of the inside of the squash.
- 1 acorn squash, (1 1/4 pounds), halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place squash halves cut-side down in the prepared pan. Bake until soft, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Scrape the soft squash flesh into a medium bowl. Stir in syrup, butter, cinnamon and salt with a fork, mashing the squash until somewhat smooth.
Per serving: 156 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 299 mg sodium; 790 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007