Mashed Garlicky Potatoes with Portobello Gravy
The creamy texture of these mashed potatoes is achieved without using cream or milk. The secret is to use the cooking liquid to moisten the puree, adding just a small amount of butter or olive oil to provide a luxurious finish. Top them with this rich gravy that can be made with fresh shiitakes as well as portobellos. Leave the mushroom pieces in for a chunky-style sauce or strain them out for a velvety consistency.
- Portobello Gravy, (recipe follows)
- 3 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, (4-5 large), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Make Portobello Gravy.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot, cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- Return the potatoes and garlic to the pot. Add butter (or oil). Mash the potatoes with a potato masher, adding 1/2 to 1 cup of the reserved liquid to make a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a warmed serving bowl and serve with Portobello Gravy. Portobello Gravy Active time: 10 minutes | Total: 30 minutes 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 1/2 cups chopped cleaned portobello mushrooms (2 medium) 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth (see Ingredient note) 3 tablespoons tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves 1/8 teaspoon crumbled dried sage 1 tablespoon cornstarch 2 tablespoons water Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to release their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tamari (or soy sauce), thyme and sage; simmer for 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir into the sauce and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season with pepper. If you prefer a smooth gravy, pass it through a fine sieve (discard mushrooms and onions). Serve hot. Makes 2 cups chunky gravy or 1 cup smooth gravy, for 8 servings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep the potatoes hot, covered with parchment or wax paper, over a pan of barely simmering water for up to 1 hour.
- Ingredient note: Commercial vegetable broth is readily available in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets. We especially like the Imagine and Pacific brands, sold in convenient aseptic packages that allow you to use small amounts and keep the rest refrigerated.
Per serving: 217 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 787 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Potassium (44% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)