Mashed Garlicky Potatoes with Portobello Gravy
The creamy texture of these mashed potatoes is achieved without using cream or milk. The secret is to use the cooking liquid to moisten the puree, adding just a small amount of butter or olive oil to provide a luxurious finish. Top them with this rich gravy that can be made with fresh shiitakes as well as portobellos. Leave the mushroom pieces in for a chunky-style sauce or strain them out for a velvety consistency.
- Portobello Gravy, (recipe follows)
- 3 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, (4-5 large), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Make Portobello Gravy.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot, cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- Return the potatoes and garlic to the pot. Add butter (or oil). Mash the potatoes with a potato masher, adding 1/2 to 1 cup of the reserved liquid to make a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a warmed serving bowl and serve with Portobello Gravy. Portobello Gravy Active time: 10 minutes | Total: 30 minutes 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 1/2 cups chopped cleaned portobello mushrooms (2 medium) 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth (see Ingredient note) 3 tablespoons tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves 1/8 teaspoon crumbled dried sage 1 tablespoon cornstarch 2 tablespoons water Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to release their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tamari (or soy sauce), thyme and sage; simmer for 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir into the sauce and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season with pepper. If you prefer a smooth gravy, pass it through a fine sieve (discard mushrooms and onions). Serve hot. Makes 2 cups chunky gravy or 1 cup smooth gravy, for 8 servings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep the potatoes hot, covered with parchment or wax paper, over a pan of barely simmering water for up to 1 hour.
- Ingredient note: Commercial vegetable broth is readily available in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets. We especially like the Imagine and Pacific brands, sold in convenient aseptic packages that allow you to use small amounts and keep the rest refrigerated.
Per serving: 217 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 787 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Potassium (44% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more