From EatingWell: September/October 2014
A creamy, honey-scented mascarpone filling makes this fresh fig recipe luxurious, yet still lets the fruit be the star. Serve these pretty stuffed figs to top off a special meal.
- 12 fresh figs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 teaspoons honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Trim about 1/2 inch off the top of each fig. If needed, cut a thin slice off the bottom so they stand up straight. Cut an X into the tops about 3/4 inch deep. Gently open each fig from the top without breaking it open all the way.
- Combine mascarpone, 2 teaspoons honey and vanilla in a small bowl. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the mixture into each fig. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon honey and sprinkle with almonds, mint and orange zest.
Per serving: 219 calories; 15 g fat (7 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 18 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 16 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014