From EatingWell: September/October 2014
A creamy, honey-scented mascarpone filling makes this fresh fig recipe luxurious, yet still lets the fruit be the star. Serve these pretty stuffed figs to top off a special meal.
- 12 fresh figs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 teaspoons honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Trim about 1/2 inch off the top of each fig. If needed, cut a thin slice off the bottom so they stand up straight. Cut an X into the tops about 3/4 inch deep. Gently open each fig from the top without breaking it open all the way.
- Combine mascarpone, 2 teaspoons honey and vanilla in a small bowl. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the mixture into each fig. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon honey and sprinkle with almonds, mint and orange zest.
Per serving: 219 calories; 15 g fat (7 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 18 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 16 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014