From EatingWell: September/October 2014
A creamy, honey-scented mascarpone filling makes this fresh fig recipe luxurious, yet still lets the fruit be the star. Serve these pretty stuffed figs to top off a special meal.
- 12 fresh figs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 teaspoons honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Trim about 1/2 inch off the top of each fig. If needed, cut a thin slice off the bottom so they stand up straight. Cut an X into the tops about 3/4 inch deep. Gently open each fig from the top without breaking it open all the way.
- Combine mascarpone, 2 teaspoons honey and vanilla in a small bowl. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the mixture into each fig. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon honey and sprinkle with almonds, mint and orange zest.
Per serving: 219 calories; 15 g fat (7 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 18 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 16 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014