Maryland Oyster Stew
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This delicate oyster soup recipe sets the tone for celebration at any meal. We made this stew healthier by primarily using low-fat milk and increasing the amount of vegetables. Don’t worry about shucking the oysters—most supermarket seafood departments carry shucked oysters. Serve with crusty bread to sop up all the delicious bits at the bottom of the bowl.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced white onion
- 1 cup diced celery, plus 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves, divided
- 2 pints shucked oysters, liquid reserved
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add onion and diced celery, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and very tender but not browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut oysters in half or quarters, depending on size. Pour the oyster liquid through a fine-mesh sieve to strain out any grit.
- Stir salt and paprika into the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the strained oyster liquid, milk, cream and hot sauce. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and gently add the oysters. Cook just until their edges begin to curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with pepper. Garnish with celery leaves and chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and hold for up to 1 hour or refrigerate stew and oysters separately for up to 1 day. To serve, reheat and finish with Step 4.
Per serving: 147 calories; 9 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (193% daily value), Iron (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lowfat milk, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013