Marrakech Grilled Steak & Sweet Potatoes
Here we grill spice-rubbed strip steak to serve along sweet potatoes and onions cooked in a foil packet alongside it. Serve with steamed spinach.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces strip steak, trimmed and cut into 2 portions
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine allspice, cumin, ginger, salt, cinnamon, coriander and cayenne in a medium bowl. Sprinkle steaks with 2 1/4 teaspoons of the spice mixture. Add sweet potato and onion to the bowl along with oil and zest; toss to coat.
- Place two 24-inch sheets of foil on top of each other (the double layers will help protect the ingredients from burning). Generously coat the top piece with cooking spray. Spread the sweet potato mixture in the center of the foil in a thin layer. Bring the short ends of foil together, fold over and pinch to seal. Pinch the seams together along the sides to seal the packet.
- Place the packet on the hottest part of the grill and cook, turning once, about 5 minutes per side. Cook the steaks, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to plates and let rest while the packets finish cooking. Open the packets (be careful of steam) and serve alongside the steaks.
Per serving: 366 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 369 mg sodium; 621 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Zinc (40% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient