Marrakech Grilled Steak & Sweet Potatoes
Here we grill spice-rubbed strip steak to serve along sweet potatoes and onions cooked in a foil packet alongside it. Serve with steamed spinach.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces strip steak, trimmed and cut into 2 portions
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine allspice, cumin, ginger, salt, cinnamon, coriander and cayenne in a medium bowl. Sprinkle steaks with 2 1/4 teaspoons of the spice mixture. Add sweet potato and onion to the bowl along with oil and zest; toss to coat.
- Place two 24-inch sheets of foil on top of each other (the double layers will help protect the ingredients from burning). Generously coat the top piece with cooking spray. Spread the sweet potato mixture in the center of the foil in a thin layer. Bring the short ends of foil together, fold over and pinch to seal. Pinch the seams together along the sides to seal the packet.
- Place the packet on the hottest part of the grill and cook, turning once, about 5 minutes per side. Cook the steaks, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to plates and let rest while the packets finish cooking. Open the packets (be careful of steam) and serve alongside the steaks.
Per serving: 366 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 369 mg sodium; 621 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Zinc (40% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient