Marmalade-Glazed Orange Cheesecake
Our Test Kitchen created this showpiece cheesecake to celebrate one of winter's brightest gifts: the orange. It is exceptionally rich and creamy-tasting, but lower in saturated fat than a traditional cheesecake. The secret is to replace most of the cream cheese with pureed cottage cheese. Be sure to let the food processor do its job and process the cottage cheese until it has a silky texture.
- 20 vanilla snaps, or wafers (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat (1%) cottage cheese
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (not nonfat), cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, or
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Glaze & garnish
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, or orange juice
- 1 seedless orange, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- Mint sprigs
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Put a kettle of water on to boil for the water bath. Wrap the outside of the pan with a double thickness of foil.
- To prepare crust: Grind vanilla snaps in a food processor. Add oil and process until the crumbs are moistened. Press crumbs evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- To prepare filling: Puree cottage cheese in a food processor (use a clean workbowl) until smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice. Add cream cheese, granulated sugar (or Splenda), brown sugar and cornstarch. Process until very smooth. Add egg, egg whites, yogurt, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla; process until smooth. Pour over the crust.
- Place the cheesecake in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come 1/2 inch up the outside of the springform pan. Bake until the edges are set but the center still jiggles when the pan is tapped, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Turn off the oven. Spray a knife with cooking spray and run it around the inside edge of the pan. Let the cheesecake stand in the oven, with the door ajar, for 1 hour. Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and remove the foil. Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, about 2 hours.
- To glaze & garnish cheesecake: Shortly before serving, combine marmalade and orange liqueur (or juice) in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring, until melted and smooth. Place cheesecake on a serving platter and remove pan sides. Brush glaze over the top of the cheesecake. Make a slit in each orange slice, then twist and wrap it into a rosette. Garnish cheesecake with the orange rosettes and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: To avoid trans fats, look for wafers without hydrogenated canola oil, such as My-Del Vanilla Snaps (found in natural-foods stores and large supermarkets).
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 293 mg sodium; 88 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat (saturated)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique