Marinated Olives with Lemon, Thyme & Rosemary
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Marinating olives in aromatic herbs and a touch of lemon zest is an ideal way to enhance their flavor. Throughout the Mediterranean, bowls of them are routinely set out as appetizers or as a simple lunch with bread and perhaps some cheese or fruit. While a selection of olives of varying sizes, colors and cures is the most interesting, you can also simply use the one or two kinds most readily available.
- 4 cups mixed olives of your choice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 2 tablespoons dried
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, cut into thin slivers
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and cut into slivers
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine olives, thyme, rosemary, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, oil and pepper in a medium bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days, stirring several times. Serve with pita or other flatbread or French or Italian bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for several weeks.
Per 1/4 cup serving: 162 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 770 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 1995