Marinated Mussel Salad
Archaeologists say that humans have been eating mussels for over 20,000 years, but it's unlikely our prehistoric ancestors ever tried them with this tangy lemon-caper marinade. Garlic-Tomato Toasts and a bold Sauvignon Blanc are wonderful with this salad.
- 2 pounds mussels, debearded and scrubbed (see Tip)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce, such as Boston, red leaf or romaine
- Place mussels, onion, water and wine in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook just until the mussels open, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, cool and shell the mussels, discarding any that do not open.
- Combine lemon juice, parsley, oil, capers, mustard and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the shelled mussels; marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide lettuce between 2 plates and top with the mussel mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and chill for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: Use a stiff brush to scrub mussels under running water. Discard any with broken shells or any whose shells remain open after you tap them lightly. Scrape off any barnacles; pull off the black fibrous “beard”.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 1 g fiber; 372 mg sodium; 363 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Iron (35% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient