Marinated Mussel Salad
Archaeologists say that humans have been eating mussels for over 20,000 years, but it's unlikely our prehistoric ancestors ever tried them with this tangy lemon-caper marinade. Garlic-Tomato Toasts and a bold Sauvignon Blanc are wonderful with this salad.
- 2 pounds mussels, debearded and scrubbed (see Tip)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce, such as Boston, red leaf or romaine
- Place mussels, onion, water and wine in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook just until the mussels open, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, cool and shell the mussels, discarding any that do not open.
- Combine lemon juice, parsley, oil, capers, mustard and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the shelled mussels; marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide lettuce between 2 plates and top with the mussel mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and chill for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: Use a stiff brush to scrub mussels under running water. Discard any with broken shells or any whose shells remain open after you tap them lightly. Scrape off any barnacles; pull off the black fibrous “beard”.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 1 g fiber; 372 mg sodium; 363 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Iron (35% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient