Marinated Mussel Salad
Archaeologists say that humans have been eating mussels for over 20,000 years, but it's unlikely our prehistoric ancestors ever tried them with this tangy lemon-caper marinade. Garlic-Tomato Toasts and a bold Sauvignon Blanc are wonderful with this salad.
- 2 pounds mussels, debearded and scrubbed (see Tip)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce, such as Boston, red leaf or romaine
- Place mussels, onion, water and wine in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook just until the mussels open, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, cool and shell the mussels, discarding any that do not open.
- Combine lemon juice, parsley, oil, capers, mustard and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the shelled mussels; marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide lettuce between 2 plates and top with the mussel mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and chill for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: Use a stiff brush to scrub mussels under running water. Discard any with broken shells or any whose shells remain open after you tap them lightly. Scrape off any barnacles; pull off the black fibrous “beard”.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 1 g fiber; 372 mg sodium; 363 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Iron (35% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient