Marinated Mussel Salad
Archaeologists say that humans have been eating mussels for over 20,000 years, but it's unlikely our prehistoric ancestors ever tried them with this tangy lemon-caper marinade. Garlic-Tomato Toasts and a bold Sauvignon Blanc are wonderful with this salad.
- 2 pounds mussels, debearded and scrubbed (see Tip)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce, such as Boston, red leaf or romaine
- Place mussels, onion, water and wine in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook just until the mussels open, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, cool and shell the mussels, discarding any that do not open.
- Combine lemon juice, parsley, oil, capers, mustard and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the shelled mussels; marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide lettuce between 2 plates and top with the mussel mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and chill for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: Use a stiff brush to scrub mussels under running water. Discard any with broken shells or any whose shells remain open after you tap them lightly. Scrape off any barnacles; pull off the black fibrous “beard”.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 1 g fiber; 372 mg sodium; 363 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Iron (35% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 12
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient