Balsamic vinegar-marinated carrots are an easy side dish for your favorite pasta dinner.
- 6 carrots, (12 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-by-2-inch matchsticks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Pinch sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place carrots and garlic in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 30 seconds. (Alternatively, place carrots, garlic and 1/4 cup water in a 1-quart casserole; cover with lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring midway.)
- Immediately drain the carrots and garlic; transfer to a medium bowl. Add vinegar, oil, thyme and sugar and toss well. Let cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 66 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (308% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)