Marbled Cheesecake Brownies
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Using reduced-fat cream cheese substantially reduces the fat in these marbled cheesecake brownies.
- Cheesecake Topping
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- Brownie Batter
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules, (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make cheesecake topping: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Dust with flour, tapping out the excess. 2. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in egg, followed by egg white; beat 2 to 3 minutes to thoroughly blend. Add 1 tablespoon flour and, with the mixer on low speed, beat just until blended.
- To make brownie batter: Whisk 1 cup flour, cocoa and salt in a small bowl. Beat brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, egg, egg whites, coffee granules, if using, and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a large bowl, on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the brownie batter. Transfer the remaining brownie batter to the prepared pan, spreading it into the corners and smoothing the surface. Carefully pour the reserved cheesecake topping onto the batter and spread it evenly to the edges. Dot the cheesecake layer with the remaining brownie batter. Without disturbing the brownie layer, swirl the cheesecake layer with a table knife. Bake just until the top is set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting.
Per serving: 222 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 138 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1996