I made this for a family gathering and it turned out great. To save time, I bought matchstick cut carrots and did not use onion. So it was a simple and fresh flavor. I substituted plain yogurt for half the sour cream and added about a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. I will be making this again and trying different fresh vegetables each time.
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Old-fashioned macaroni salad sometimes contains jarred pimientos, diced ham or pickle relish, but this version is simple and deliciously plain with fresh chopped celery, carrot and onion. A combination of low-fat mayo and sour cream lightens up the dressing, and whole-wheat elbow noodles, spinach and edamame add extra nutrients.
3 Reviews for Macaroni Salad
Pretty good but a little bland. I skipped the cheddar on top - not a fan of the cheddar/mayo combo so it wasn't worth the extra calories. Maybe a little dijon stirred into the dressing would help - I'll try that next time. Capers would probably help it as well. Just needs a little tartness, brininess, and/or spiciness (Sriracha maye?) in my opinion.
This is the perfect dish to bring to a summer potluck or picnic. I love the inclusion of cheese and the ingredients that make this a healthier, lighter option for a picnic salad. Definitely will be making this one again!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)