From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Old-fashioned macaroni salad sometimes contains jarred pimientos, diced ham or pickle relish, but this version is simple and deliciously plain with fresh chopped celery, carrot and onion. A combination of low-fat mayo and sour cream lightens up the dressing, and whole-wheat elbow noodles, spinach and edamame add extra nutrients.
- 3 cups whole-wheat elbow noodles (14- to 16-ounce package)
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen (thawed) edamame
- 1/3 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper in a small bowl.
- When the noodles have cooled, add celery, carrots, onion, spinach, edamame and the mayonnaise mixture; stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 190 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2011