Maple-Walnut Tapioca Pudding
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Turn comforting tapioca pudding into a special dessert for two by spiking it with pure maple syrup and finishing it with a simple spiced maple-nut topping.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, egg, tapioca and salt in a medium saucepan. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil, 6 to 18 minutes (depending on your stove). Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup syrup and vanilla.
- Divide the pudding between 2 ramekins or custard cups. Let cool for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, line a small plate with parchment or wax paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray. Combine walnuts, the remaining 1 tablespoon syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan or skillet. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until most of the syrup has evaporated, 1 to 4 minutes. Spread the nuts out onto the prepared paper and place in the freezer until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Crumble the chilled walnut topping into pieces. Serve the pudding topped with the maple walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the pudding for up to 3 days. Prepare the walnut topping (Step 4) 15 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 301 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- March/April 2007