Maple-Walnut Tapioca Pudding
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Turn comforting tapioca pudding into a special dessert for two by spiking it with pure maple syrup and finishing it with a simple spiced maple-nut topping.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, egg, tapioca and salt in a medium saucepan. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil, 6 to 18 minutes (depending on your stove). Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup syrup and vanilla.
- Divide the pudding between 2 ramekins or custard cups. Let cool for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, line a small plate with parchment or wax paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray. Combine walnuts, the remaining 1 tablespoon syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan or skillet. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until most of the syrup has evaporated, 1 to 4 minutes. Spread the nuts out onto the prepared paper and place in the freezer until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Crumble the chilled walnut topping into pieces. Serve the pudding topped with the maple walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the pudding for up to 3 days. Prepare the walnut topping (Step 4) 15 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 301 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2007