From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Sweet maple syrup turns grits in a northerly direction. Milk adds creaminess and gives this satisfying breakfast staying power.
- 1 cup low-fat milk or water
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking grits (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons raisins, dried cranberries or chopped dried fruit
- Bring milk (or water), syrup and salt to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Slowly whisk in grits, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with dried fruit.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle.
Per serving: 336 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 256 mg sodium; 584 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 low-fat milk, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 2010