From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Sweet maple syrup turns grits in a northerly direction. Milk adds creaminess and gives this satisfying breakfast staying power.
- 1 cup low-fat milk or water
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking grits (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons raisins, dried cranberries or chopped dried fruit
- Bring milk (or water), syrup and salt to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Slowly whisk in grits, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with dried fruit.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle.
Per serving: 336 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 256 mg sodium; 584 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 low-fat milk, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- September/October 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)