From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Toasted oats, maple syrup, walnuts and dates are a great combination in these crisp biscotti.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple extract
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- Spread oats on another baking sheet and toast them in the oven, stirring often, until light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer 1/3 cup of the toasted oats to a food processor or blender and grind them to a fine powder.
- Combine whole and powdered oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together egg, egg white, maple syrup and extract, and add to the dry ingredients; mix until almost smooth. Stir in dates and 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Working on a floured surface, shape dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Sprinkle the logs with the remaining walnuts, pressing them lightly into the dough. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 51 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992