From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Toasted oats, maple syrup, walnuts and dates are a great combination in these crisp biscotti.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple extract
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- Spread oats on another baking sheet and toast them in the oven, stirring often, until light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer 1/3 cup of the toasted oats to a food processor or blender and grind them to a fine powder.
- Combine whole and powdered oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together egg, egg white, maple syrup and extract, and add to the dry ingredients; mix until almost smooth. Stir in dates and 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Working on a floured surface, shape dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Sprinkle the logs with the remaining walnuts, pressing them lightly into the dough. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 51 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992