From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Toasted oats, maple syrup, walnuts and dates are a great combination in these crisp biscotti.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple extract
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- Spread oats on another baking sheet and toast them in the oven, stirring often, until light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer 1/3 cup of the toasted oats to a food processor or blender and grind them to a fine powder.
- Combine whole and powdered oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together egg, egg white, maple syrup and extract, and add to the dry ingredients; mix until almost smooth. Stir in dates and 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Working on a floured surface, shape dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Sprinkle the logs with the remaining walnuts, pressing them lightly into the dough. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 51 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992