From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Toasted oats, maple syrup, walnuts and dates are a great combination in these crisp biscotti.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple extract
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- Spread oats on another baking sheet and toast them in the oven, stirring often, until light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer 1/3 cup of the toasted oats to a food processor or blender and grind them to a fine powder.
- Combine whole and powdered oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together egg, egg white, maple syrup and extract, and add to the dry ingredients; mix until almost smooth. Stir in dates and 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Working on a floured surface, shape dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Sprinkle the logs with the remaining walnuts, pressing them lightly into the dough. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 51 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992