From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Toasted oats, maple syrup, walnuts and dates are a great combination in these crisp biscotti.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple extract
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- Spread oats on another baking sheet and toast them in the oven, stirring often, until light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer 1/3 cup of the toasted oats to a food processor or blender and grind them to a fine powder.
- Combine whole and powdered oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together egg, egg white, maple syrup and extract, and add to the dry ingredients; mix until almost smooth. Stir in dates and 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Working on a floured surface, shape dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Sprinkle the logs with the remaining walnuts, pressing them lightly into the dough. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 51 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992