From EatingWell: November/December 2008
We love the maple-nut flavor combination of this heart-healthy granola, but feel free to substitute your favorite nuts or dried fruit for your own custom blend.
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips, (see Ingredient Note) or flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Combine oats, coconut, almonds, pecans, brown sugar, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Combine syrup, water and oil in a medium bowl or large measuring cup and pour over the oat mixture; stir until well combined. Spread the mixture into a large (12-by-15-inch) roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and continue baking until golden brown and beginning to crisp, about 45 minutes more. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Let cool completely before storing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Ingredient note: Large thin flakes of dried coconut called coconut chips make attractive garnishes. Find them in the produce section of large supermarkets or at melissas.com.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 255 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2008