From EatingWell: November/December 2008
We love the maple-nut flavor combination of this heart-healthy granola, but feel free to substitute your favorite nuts or dried fruit for your own custom blend.
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips, (see Ingredient Note) or flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Combine oats, coconut, almonds, pecans, brown sugar, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Combine syrup, water and oil in a medium bowl or large measuring cup and pour over the oat mixture; stir until well combined. Spread the mixture into a large (12-by-15-inch) roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and continue baking until golden brown and beginning to crisp, about 45 minutes more. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Let cool completely before storing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Ingredient note: Large thin flakes of dried coconut called coconut chips make attractive garnishes. Find them in the produce section of large supermarkets or at melissas.com.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 255 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2008