From EatingWell: November/December 2008
We love the maple-nut flavor combination of this heart-healthy granola, but feel free to substitute your favorite nuts or dried fruit for your own custom blend.
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips, (see Ingredient Note) or flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Combine oats, coconut, almonds, pecans, brown sugar, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Combine syrup, water and oil in a medium bowl or large measuring cup and pour over the oat mixture; stir until well combined. Spread the mixture into a large (12-by-15-inch) roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and continue baking until golden brown and beginning to crisp, about 45 minutes more. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Let cool completely before storing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Ingredient note: Large thin flakes of dried coconut called coconut chips make attractive garnishes. Find them in the produce section of large supermarkets or at melissas.com.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 255 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2008