From EatingWell: November/December 2008
We love the maple-nut flavor combination of this heart-healthy granola, but feel free to substitute your favorite nuts or dried fruit for your own custom blend.
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips, (see Ingredient Note) or flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Combine oats, coconut, almonds, pecans, brown sugar, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Combine syrup, water and oil in a medium bowl or large measuring cup and pour over the oat mixture; stir until well combined. Spread the mixture into a large (12-by-15-inch) roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and continue baking until golden brown and beginning to crisp, about 45 minutes more. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Let cool completely before storing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Ingredient note: Large thin flakes of dried coconut called coconut chips make attractive garnishes. Find them in the produce section of large supermarkets or at melissas.com.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 255 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2008