From EatingWell: January/February 1995
For the richest flavor, use maple syrup graded “Dark Amber” to make these custards.
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, plus 4 teaspoons for topping, divided
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 2/3 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Bring 1/2 cup maple syrup to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Cook until thickened and reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low, pour in fat-free milk and evaporated fat-free milk. Stir until the syrup has blended with the milk. Remove from the heat.
- Lightly whisk whole eggs and egg yolks in a mixing bowl until combined. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the eggs. Skim off any foam and pour the mixture into four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins.
- Place the filled custard cups 1 inch apart on a large plate. Microwave, uncovered, on Medium power for 3 minutes; rotate the plate a quarter turn and microwave for 2 minutes more. Check for doneness; custard should be well set 1 inch in from the edge and softly set in the center. Remove any custards as they are done; continue microwaving the remaining custards, checking for doneness every 30 seconds. Transfer to a rack to cool until serving.
- Serve the custards warm or chilled, with 1 teaspoon of the remaining maple syrup drizzled over each. Oven Variation: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the filled custard cups in a shallow baking dish and add enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides of the cups. Bake until a knife inserted in the center of a custard comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 234 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 211 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 116 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (24% daily value), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- January/February 1995