Maple Barbecue Sauce
A splash of Southern Comfort gives a kick to this easy sauce. Chef Doug Mack's recipe is also great with chicken or pork.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium ketchup (see Ingredient Note)
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Southern Comfort liqueur or apple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ketchup, vinegar, Southern Comfort (or apple juice), maple syrup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and hot sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Ingredient Note: We recommend using reduced-sodium ketchup whenever possible. Look for it in your supermarket.
Per tablespoon: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 30 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique