Maple Barbecue Sauce
A splash of Southern Comfort gives a kick to this easy sauce. Chef Doug Mack's recipe is also great with chicken or pork.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium ketchup (see Ingredient Note)
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Southern Comfort liqueur or apple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ketchup, vinegar, Southern Comfort (or apple juice), maple syrup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and hot sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Ingredient Note: We recommend using reduced-sodium ketchup whenever possible. Look for it in your supermarket.
Per tablespoon: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 30 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory