Maple Barbecue Sauce
A splash of Southern Comfort gives a kick to this easy sauce. Chef Doug Mack's recipe is also great with chicken or pork.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium ketchup (see Ingredient Note)
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Southern Comfort liqueur or apple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ketchup, vinegar, Southern Comfort (or apple juice), maple syrup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and hot sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Ingredient Note: We recommend using reduced-sodium ketchup whenever possible. Look for it in your supermarket.
Per tablespoon: 42 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 30 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory