Maple-Bacon Roasted Apples & Celeriac
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Roasted apples and celery root (celeriac) with a maple-bacon glaze make a perfect fall side dish. If you can’t find pure maple syrup, use an equal amount of brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon of water in Step 3.
- 1 large celery root (celeriac), about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss celery root with oil, pepper and salt and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add apples, toss gently and continue roasting until the apples and celery root are tender, 6 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just crispy. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon; discard all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat. Add maple syrup to the fat in the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits. Add the cooked bacon and thyme (or rosemary). When the celery root and apples are tender, gently toss them with the maple-bacon glaze and roast for about 5 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat)
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012