Maple-Bacon Roasted Apples & Celeriac
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Roasted apples and celery root (celeriac) with a maple-bacon glaze make a perfect fall side dish. If you can’t find pure maple syrup, use an equal amount of brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon of water in Step 3.
- 1 large celery root (celeriac), about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss celery root with oil, pepper and salt and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add apples, toss gently and continue roasting until the apples and celery root are tender, 6 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just crispy. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon; discard all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat. Add maple syrup to the fat in the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits. Add the cooked bacon and thyme (or rosemary). When the celery root and apples are tender, gently toss them with the maple-bacon glaze and roast for about 5 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat)
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2012