Maple-Bacon Roasted Apples & Celeriac
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Roasted apples and celery root (celeriac) with a maple-bacon glaze make a perfect fall side dish. If you can’t find pure maple syrup, use an equal amount of brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon of water in Step 3.
- 1 large celery root (celeriac), about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss celery root with oil, pepper and salt and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add apples, toss gently and continue roasting until the apples and celery root are tender, 6 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just crispy. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon; discard all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat. Add maple syrup to the fat in the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits. Add the cooked bacon and thyme (or rosemary). When the celery root and apples are tender, gently toss them with the maple-bacon glaze and roast for about 5 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat)
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012