Maple-Bacon Roasted Apples & Celeriac
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Roasted apples and celery root (celeriac) with a maple-bacon glaze make a perfect fall side dish. If you can’t find pure maple syrup, use an equal amount of brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon of water in Step 3.
- 1 large celery root (celeriac), about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss celery root with oil, pepper and salt and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add apples, toss gently and continue roasting until the apples and celery root are tender, 6 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just crispy. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon; discard all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat. Add maple syrup to the fat in the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits. Add the cooked bacon and thyme (or rosemary). When the celery root and apples are tender, gently toss them with the maple-bacon glaze and roast for about 5 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- September/October 2012